Ranting and raving and carrying on

Just a few random thoughts about random stuff. Warning - may contain profanity

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto-ish, Ontario, Canada

Just a guy... Bit of a geek, but who isn't these days?

Friday, August 26, 2011

Travel - good, bad, indifferent

With my new job (not all that new, I've been here 2-1/2 years, to the point where some people consider me to be a "primary source" for advice and information in the department), I don't get to travel as much as I used to. In 2009 I spent a day in London (Ontario), last year I got to Montreal for a week, and this year (so far) I've spent two weeks plus two days in Montreal again. I'm poised to go to Singapore (yay!) in September for two to three weeks, although I won't really believe it until I'm collecting my luggage from the carousel at Changi Airport.

I get asked sometimes if I miss all the travel from my old employer. My answer, to be honest, is "yes and no". On the one hand, it's great to see new (and historic) landmarks, eat interesting food, meet new people, and go shopping for products that don't even exist in this country. On the other hand, when you reach a certain age you do start to wish for a bit more stability in your life, and I think I reached that age a couple of years ago. I could probably handle the travel if I was home one to two weeks a month, but my old job was pretty much continuous travel.

So, if anyone wants to hire an IT Security Expert / IT Auditor with ten years of experience, for a position that is say 50% travel (plus or minus) to strange and interesting places, let me know. It helps if you're also offering lots of money, by the way. :-)

Labels: ,