Ranting and raving and carrying on

Just a few random thoughts about random stuff. Warning - may contain profanity

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto-ish, Ontario, Canada

Just a guy... Bit of a geek, but who isn't these days?

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Where are my pants?

"Jeg sliter ikke bukser" - according to someone I know, that means "I'm not wearing any trousers". I always thought that would make a cool underwear-slogan.

Actually, I am fully clothed today, and at work, etc. One more week until the job change. Whee!

I want to revisit something I ranted about a few weeks ago - really, expand on it. Desktop publishing - tool of Satan, or just a bad idea? I have lost count of the number of times I have watched someone, say, making a poster on the computer. They will spend upwards of an hour messing with fonts and graphics and layout, print off their masterpiece, and I will then point out "you mis-spelled the word 'the'". Funny, at least for me. But the point is, doesn't anyone proof-read their work any more? Apparently not.

So I'm not always updating this in a timely manner. There are a number of reasons for this, including my day job, my night job (remember, officer in the reserves?), and Runescape. What's Runescape, you ask? Electronic crack, but the Mattel version, basically. Unless you live under a rock, you've probably heard of Everquest (AKA Evercrack, due to it's addictive nature), one of the more famous MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games). Runescape is basically like that, except that you can play for free. You can also go "pay-to-play" (or p2p) and get access to more adventures, stronger items, and more skills, but many people are very happy staying f2p (free-to-play). In Runescape you are a stalwart adventurer, honing your skills in sword and sorcery against the foul creatures that inhabit the world. You can also (if that's your kick) go into "the wilderness" and "pk" (player-kill, which means you attack other players). Personally, I hate pkers, and if I ever catch one "irl" (in real life) I'll kick his geeky little ass up around his ears. (Yes, I got pk'd once, but I hated pkers even before that.)

Anyway, there are a whole bunch of "skills" you can work on, including your fighting and magic skills, but also mining, crafting, smithing, and many more. There are 19 skills in total, each starts at level 1 and goes to level 100. My total of all skills, as of today, is 1003. Not bad for someone who's only been playing for six months, eh?

Anyway, that's enough for now, but I may post more later - I have a couple of minor rants still stewing inside my head.